- Pre-Election Letter to CUFA BC Members - May 10, 2013
- Professors Support NDP Proposal on Needs-Based Student Grants, but Say More Still Can Be Done - April 23, 2013
- CUFA BC Releases E-Book on Academic Governance - April 10, 2013
- UBC-O, UNBC and SFU Professors to be Honoured for Using Their Research in Service of the Community - April 3, 2013
1998 - Sibylle Artz (UVic)
- Published on Saturday, 19 August 2006 14:31
- Written by Robert Clift
1998 Academic of the Year
Sibylle (center) is congratulated by Ron Tonts of Sun Microsystems of Canada (left) and
Jeff Collier (right) and Katherine McWhirter (far right) of Prentice-Hall Canada.
Friends and colleagues gathered at UBC's Green College on April 17, 1998 to celebrate the awarding of the 1998 Academic of the Year Award to University of Victoria child and youth care professor Dr. Sibylle Artz. This is the fourth year the Confederation of University Faculty Associations of British Columbia (CUFA/BC) has given the award to recognize excellence in the generation, transmission, or implementation of ideas -- the stock in trade of the university.
The Academic of the Year Award was established in 1995 as a means to highlight the accomplishments of the academic staff of B.C. public universities. Dr. Artz is the fourth recipient of the award, following UBC zoologist Dr. Peter Hochachka in 1995, SFU mathematicians Dr. Jonathan Borwein and Dr. Peter Borwein in 1996, and UNBC forestry professor Dr. Wini Kessler in 1997. The award has been supported since its inception by generous donations from Sun Microsystems of Canada and Prentice Hall Canada.
Dr. Artz received a cheque for $3,000 and a framed print.
The text of Dr. Artz's speech is available via this link.